July 20, 2009

More On Mr. Cronkite:
Learning From The Way He Was

If I were writing for print, my editor would have handed that last post back to me.

By making my headline, “Remembering Walter Cronkite,” I made a contract with you, the reader, to talk about my memories of Mr. Cronkite.

I should have told you that as an avid news watcher who was born in the mid-80s, I never saw Mr. Cronkite report that JFK was assassinated. I never saw how his exhaustive research into astronomy colored his broadcasts on the space program, or what he saw as his great disappointment: being at a loss for words when the first man landed on the moon.

For me, Mr. Cronkite was the epitome of journalistic standards. He’s the man we’re all compared with and the man we all revere. What struck me is not all the broadcasts he made throughout his life, but the effect he had on journalism after he “retired.”

"He used his halo to
bash his former employers
over the head."

-Paul Taylor


Whether it was strengthening the journalism program at Arizona State University or pressuring television to improve its coverage of politics, Mr. Cronkite made a difference.

Mr. Cronkite "was quite willing to use the moral authority he had gained as a broadcaster," said Paul Taylor, a former politics reporter at The Inquirer and the Washington Post. "He used his halo to bash his former employers over the head."

Though we may fall short of Mr. Cronkite’s high standards, as journalists, the least we can do to honor him is to try.

Next post, I’ll talk about how to be your own editor. I know its sometimes I still am trying to learn.

As Mr. Cronkite famously said, “And That’s The Way It Is”


9 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tribute to this wonderful anchor man. I usually try to avoid waxing nostalgic about "the good old days" but it does sadden me the way our delivery of what is considered news has changed. I feel that there used to be at least some concern for stating facts and reporting on important events. News now appears to be whatever will titillate and entertain the most viewers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since this is a journalism blog, I feel the urge to proof it:

    Next post, I’ll talk about how to be your own editor. I know it’s something I’m still trying to learn.

    As Mr. Cronkite famously said, “And that’s the way it is.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kemuel: It's an interesting concept in Media and Communications studies: the rise of "infotainment." If you're looking to read more about this transition, I recommend "Dish: How Gossip Became the News and the News Became Just Another Show" by Jeannette Walls.

    Of course, we've got a hard journey ahead to reverse this trend. My gut says that this all started when news programs began chasing advertising dollars, and therefore, more viewers. But, if the economy recovers and people go back to watching TV news or buying a newspaper (this is a big if) will that be enough to change everything? I think not. The movement will have to come from within journalism itself.

    The Proper Proofreader: Where would we journalists be without ever-vigilant proofreaders? Unfortunately, that's what we all face online. Any tips on how to get along?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Kemuel that it's sad to see how the news has changed (and even growing up in the late 80s/early 90s, I have seen it change a LOT). I don't even watch it on TV, and hardly know where to find good, reliable news anymore. That sounds like a very interesting book, Kristen. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the news has changed so much because there is so much of it! Having news on television twenty four hours has really changed its content.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristen,
    Thank you for the book recommendation. I will definitely check it out! The definition of classic is something that stands the test of time.
    Based on your second post it seems that even though Mr. Cronkite's career preceded your life, his work and image still impacted yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As Edward R. Murrow didn't quite say: "Have the lights gone out all over broadcasting?"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenn Fenn: Absolutely, I agree that the 24-hour news channels have made both broadcast and print news a completely different beast. The Internet is just the latest in a long string of factors effecting the evolution of our news. We've had almost 60 years of regular television news programs and I'm not sure that we've completely figured out the dynamics between television broadcast and print, and the difference ethics that govern each brand of journalists. (As a print journalist, I simply do not have as firm of a grasp as my broadcast colleagues on what images are appropriate to show with news stories. I've never had to make those decisions.) I'm sure it will take even more time for us to recognize how the constantly updating news cycle impacts the news.

    Trina: I've never heard that quote before and went to look for it in a Google search, but couldn't find anything about it. If you wouldn't mind sharing, I'd love to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What Edward R. Murrow said, broadcasting from London at the beginning of World War II, was "The lights are going out all over Europe." I thought it was a famous quote. Showing my age again, I guess.

    ReplyDelete