August 07, 2009

Managing Social Media

We've all heard the jokes about people who join Facebook and spend days feverishly setting up a profile. Their friends and spouse get worried, stage an intervention, and eventually the social media newbies quit Facebook, relieved to have broken the addiction. 
Well, that's in part true. Setting up and maintaining a social media network does take time, especially at the beginning. But it has its advantages--both for business and pleasure.

As a journalist, your time is already at a premium. Over the next couple of posts, I'll tell you my tips for monitoring and engaging your publication's audience on Facebook and Twitter. I'm no expert, but I've learned  a lot by trial and error. 

5 comments:

  1. Looking forward to it. I need a how-to on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was I your inspiration? Seriously, I spent all of ten minutes (if that) setting up my Facebook page last week. Also, your article is timely for me b/c I just sat through an interesting presentation at work today about how my employer is using social media to get out the message about the brand (or something like that). Their industry is heavily regulated (at least from a communications standpoint) so they actually face many challenges that your Coca-Colas of the world wouldn't face with social media.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also looking forward to this. I still haven't gotten as far as setting up a Facebook page, and maybe I never will, but I still would like to learn more about social networking. I remember when I started my writing-for-the-web job and was told to get with the times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a social media novice, I'm eagerly awaiting this next post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I'm glad this is a hot topic! I've had Facebook for about 6 years now, but just got involved in this with my pub in the last year. My initial impressions: It's a whole new world out there!

    ReplyDelete